Seattle Coffee Works is one of Seattle’s most innovative coffee roasters, with neighborhood cafes located in downtown Seattle, Ballard, Capitol Hill and South Lake Union. We offer amazing coffee, kind people, and cozy spaces. With a robust portfolio of Direct Trade partners and coffees, our vision is to MAKE COFFEE BETTER in terms of quality, equity, sustainability, and transparency.
If you want to grow your career as a coffee professional, and are excited about helping Seattle Coffee Works serve more neighborhoods with outstanding, direct trade coffee, apply to join our team of kind, capable coffee professionals!
Please send your resume and a personal statement about why you want to pursue a career in coffee, and why you believe Seattle Coffee Works is the right place for you to do so. Send to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com, with the position (for example: "Coffee Apprentice") in the Subject Line. Thank you!
RETAIL TEAM DEVELOPMENT LEAD
Do you love specialty coffee? Are you ready to take on the Cafe Operations Management of a smaller company with an interesting story and a bright future? Do you love to mentor and grow people and teams? Are you looking for the next challenge in your career that has meaning and purpose? If you answered YES to these questions, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
THE ROLE is a director-level role, akin to General Manager at other businesses.
• Retail Team meeting planning and facilitation (using the EOS L10 Meeting format)
• One-on-one coaching meetings with team members
• Individual guidance, team-building, professional communication, and conflict resolution
• Coaching team members to learn hard and soft skills to grow them as future leaders
• Facilitate resolutions for human resources issues
• Coordinate the completion and discussion of peer reviews for prospective hires, new hires, and permanent team members
• Guide, develop, and empower the team to implement ongoing operations tasks
• Facilitate problem-solving for spontaneous issues such as last-minute team call-outs, customer service challenges, facilities and equipment breakdowns
• Meet weekly with the Leadership Team to focus on business development and growth
• Administer payroll
• Approve time punches
• Create schedules
Seattle Coffee Works is known for amazing coffee, kind people and cozy experiences. Our robust portfolio of Direct Trade partners and coffees fuels our vision to MAKE COFFEE BETTER in terms of quality, equity, sustainability, and transparency. We LIVE our values: We do what we say with honesty and integrity; We are curious learners who never settle; We see the human in others, always. By embodying these values and pursuing our vision, we aim to take coffee hospitality to the next level. To do that, we need to cultivate the best team. Every amazing team needs to have a strong coach. That’s where you come in.
The RTDL works with the Retail Team to further their growth as Coffee Bar Professionals. RTDL meets regularly with team members to coach them along their professional journey at Seattle Coffee Works. The RTDL helps these individuals work productively as a team to grow our cafe business and enhance their professional understanding and leadership (“soft”) skills. The RTDL will travel between and be present at each cafe. As part of the Leadership Team, you will work with other Department Leads to solve issues related to the team and its members, the business, and growth opportunities.
The ideal candidate has 5+ years of people management experience, ideally in the food hospitality industry. For candidates with no current hospitality management experience, extensive prior coffee or food hospitality experience is required. All new team members must complete our extensive coffee training, so a deep curiosity about coffee and a willingness to learn is an absolute must!
For the right candidate, this is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a company that envisions modeling a new way of doing good business, including open book management, tipless hospitality, and self-managed teams.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
• 5+ years of experience in a leadership position
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Coffee or food hospitality experience required
• Demonstrated experience leading and coaching teams required
• Background in leadership development preferred
• Detail oriented and meticulous
• Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Drive, Phone-based Apps
• Hunger to listen to and learn from our outstanding team
• Ability to travel between and be present at each cafe
• Competitive salary package with bonus opportunities
• Generous paid time off
• Health & Dental insurance
• Continuing learning opportunities
• Best coffee in town for FREE!
We encourage applicants from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, and functional limitations to apply, especially those from historically marginalized communities.
Seattle Coffee Works is committed to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQIA+ and members of other underrepresented groups. Seattle Coffee Works is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
If you feel you have what it takes to help grow our business and take us to the next level, please submit your resume and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this opportunity to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com.
Our on-the-job Coffee Apprentice Program is the career track to become a Coffee Bar Professional. The Coffee Apprentice Program includes:
Education and Training: Extensive initial and on-going training in all coffee brew methods, cupping, scoring coffee, the Espresso Bar and Slow Bar service (Aeropress, Chemex, Hario V-60, Kalita, Vacuum Pot). You will have the opportunity to learn about the coffee value chain from farm to cup in our coffee lab with state-of-the-art tools.
Excellent Coffee and Equipment: A lineup of outstanding espresso blends and super- premium single-origin coffees, as well as state-of-the-art equipment is available in the cafes and training lab.
A Coffee Career: Ambitious team members make coffee a long-term career and raise the bar in the specialty coffee industry.
Excellent Benefits: Your hourly rate starts at $19 hourly and will increase to $21 hourly as you become certified! In order to ensure predictable and equitable earnings for all team members, we are a tips-free business.
Other perks include:
• Health & dental insurance
• Paid time off
• Full transparency of the financials and participation in decision-making
• The BEST coffee in town for FREE and 40% discount on most other items
Is Seattle Coffee Works a fit for you? These are a MUST:
• You're looking for a career vs. a job
• A passionate coffee lover
• Must love hospitality and giving excellent service
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays
• Able to lift 60 pounds
• Lifelong Learner
• Change Agent
• Hard Worker
• Team Player
• Full-time availability - this opportunity is not available to those in school or pursuing other education or jobs
We encourage applicants from all racial,
ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations,
gender identities, and functional limitations to apply, especially those
from historically marginalized communities.
Seattle Coffee Works is committed to building
a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications
from people of color, LGBTQIA+ and members of other underrepresented
groups. Seattle Coffee Works is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to
age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class
protected by law.
Please send your resume and a personal statement about why you want to pursue a career in coffee, and why you believe Seattle Coffee Works is the right place for you to do so. Send to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com, with "Coffee Apprentice" in the Subject Line. Thank you!