Seattle Coffee Works is one of Seattle’s most innovative coffee roasters, with neighborhood cafes located in downtown Seattle, Ballard, Capitol Hill and South Lake Union. We offer amazing coffee, kind people, and cozy spaces. With a robust portfolio of Direct Trade partners and coffees, our vision is to MAKE COFFEE BETTER in terms of quality, equity, sustainability, and transparency.
If you want to grow your career as a coffee professional, and are excited about helping Seattle Coffee Works serve more neighborhoods with outstanding, direct trade coffee, apply to join our team of kind, capable coffee professionals!
Please send your resume and a personal statement about why you want to pursue a career in coffee, and why you believe Seattle Coffee Works is the right place for you to do so. Send to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com, with the position (for example: "Coffee Apprentice") in the Subject Line. Thank you!
Do you love specialty coffee? Are you ready to take on the Cafe Operations Management of a smaller company with an interesting story and a bright future? Do you love to mentor and grow people and teams? Are you looking for the next challenge in your career that has meaning and purpose? If you answered YES to these questions, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
Seattle Coffee Works, one of Seattle's most innovative coffee roasters, is seeking an experienced and passionate General Manager to help build our growing coffee story. What’s our story you ask? We are about amazing coffee, kind people and cozy experiences. We have a robust portfolio of Direct Trade partners and coffees, and a vision to MAKE COFFEE BETTER in terms of quality, sustainability and equity. We aim to take coffee hospitality to the next level. To do that, we need the best team. Every amazing team needs to have a strong leader. That’s where you come in.
The General Manager oversees the daily operations of multiple cafes, and works with individuals on the team to further their growth as Coffee Bar Professionals. The General Manager runs the daily operations of each café and meets regularly with assigned team members to coach them along their professional journey at Seattle Coffee Works.
Overview of Responsibilities and Duties
Communicate an understanding of and passion for Seattle Coffee Works mission, vision, and values with team members and customers.
- Act as the main expert, coach, and trainer for all café systems including: Scheduling, Vendor ordering, Payroll, Ryver, and Microsoft Office
- Manage labor to maintain excellent customer service while maximizing efficiency
- Create schedules, approve all time punches, administer payroll
- Coordinate and drive all peer reviews for prospective hires, new hires, and permanent team members
- Solve spontaneous issues such as last-minute team call-outs, facilities and equipment breakdowns
- Manage human resources issues
- Provide backup as needed to ensure continuous operations
- Manage and grow vendor relations
- Act as primary contact and support to the café team throughout team member life cycle
- Clearly and accurately act as a conduit for the positive, constructive flow of information between the Leadership Team and the retail crew
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with team members
- Facilitate Home Team meetings (using the EOS L10 Meeting format)
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years of managerial experience in a bakery, café, or quick casual restaurant
- A passion for outstanding coffee and exceptional customer service
- Enthusiasm for and experience with bringing out the best in others (team members)
- Basic technical literacy including knowledge of Excel, Word, email, and the ability to learn new communication, ordering, and inventory systems
- Experience and expertise in all floor positions: customer service, barista, and sandwich production
- Current food handler's card and knowledge of all health department regulations
Locations: Ballard Coffee Works and our three other locations in and around downtown Seattle
Rate of Pay: Above market, depends on experience
Benefits: Health and dental insurance, 401k plan, generous PTO, the best coffee in Seattle for free!
Schedule: Full-time, scheduling flexibility is required, including weekends and holidays
Our on-the-job Coffee Apprentice Program is the career track to become a Coffee Bar Professional. The Coffee Apprentice Program includes:
Education and Training: Extensive initial and on-going training in all coffee brew methods, cupping, scoring coffee, the Espresso Bar and Slow Bar service (Aeropress, Chemex, Hario V-60, Kalita, Vacuum Pot). You will have the opportunity to learn about the coffee value chain from farm to cup in our coffee lab with state-of-the-art tools, weekly team cuppings, and coffee farm visits.
Excellent Coffee and Equipment: A lineup of outstanding espresso blends and super- premium single-origin coffees, as well as state-of-the-art equipment is available in the cafes and training lab.
A Coffee Career: Ambitious team members make coffee a long-term career and raise the bar in the specialty coffee industry.
Excellent Benefits: Your hourly rate starts at $17 hourly and will increase to $20 hourly as you become certified! We offer raises every six months, in addition to quarterly bonuses. In order to ensure predictable and equitable earnings for all team members, we are a tips-free business.
Other perks include:
- Health & dental insurance
- Public transportation pass
- Continuing educational opportunities
- 401k plan
- Paid time off
- Quarterly profit sharing (10% of our profits are paid out to the team)
- Full transparency of the financials and participation in decision-making
- The BEST coffee in town for FREE and 40% discount on most other items
Is Seattle Coffee Works a fit for you? These are a MUST:
- You're looking for a career vs. a job
- A passionate coffee lover
- Must love hospitality and giving excellent service
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- Able to lift 60 pounds
- Lifelong Learner
- Change Agent
- Hard Worker
- Team Player
- Full-time availability - this opportunity is not available to those in school or pursuing other education or jobs
Please send your resume and a personal statement about why you want to pursue a career in coffee, and why you believe Seattle Coffee Works is the right place for you to do so. Send to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com, with "Coffee Apprentice" in the Subject Line. Thank you!